Self-care has been a popular topic lately, but many people still have misconceptions about what self-care is exactly. Self-care, in its most rudimentary form, is taking care of your basic needs. It sounds obvious, but we tend to neglect some of these needs when our schedule gets busier!
For instance, when you have a long day ahead of you, what is the first thing you’re likely to skip or “move to tomorrow”? Typically, it’s your me time.
It’s important to do things for yourself daily. Consistency is key when it comes to self-care. The more you practice it, the better you will feel. Sounds great right!? Sign me up.
Incorporating self-care into your daily schedule may seem like a daunting task, however. But it doesn’t have to be! Here are a few small, easy habits that you can incorporate into your daily routine:
1. Do something just because it makes you happy (e.g. taking the more scenic route to work)
2. Make your bed every morning
3. Light your favorite candle
4. Meditate for 10 minutes
5. Keep fresh flowers in the house
6. Call your best friend
7. Start a gratitude journal
8. Listen to an inspiring podcast during your commute
9. Take 10 minutes to drink your coffee or tea in the morning before starting your day
10. Stay off social media for at least an hour
Or whatever else you can do for yourself that will bring you joy. Just make sure you are doing something for yourself on the daily!
Kassoy, B. (2019). The very smallest thing 22 people do for self care. Retrieved from www.wellandgood.com/good-advice/small-selfcare-ideas